Saturday, August 7, 2010

Three Bears Sited in Upstate New York

Once Upon a Time There were Three Bears. I know what you are thinking, that I am going to tell you the story of Goldilocks and her three furry friends. But, this story takes place in the sleepy hamlet of Ovid, New York (down the East side of Seneca Lake).

Here, on a knoll overlooking the village green are The Three Bears. This is the name that the locals have given to the Courthouse complex (Circa 1845 - 1860) ~ four-pillar Greek Revival buildings, built in descending size. In 1976, these architectural treasures were added to the National Register of Historic Places.

There's Papa Bear...


and Mama Bear...

And Here's Baby Bear!

No one was home the day I visited. But unlike Goldilocks, I didn't go in and make myself at home.

Perhaps, I was too early for tea!

That's the End of My Bear Story. I hope you enjoyed it.

Marjorie

6 comments:

  1. I adore Greek Revival architecture, so I'd love these buildings even without the whimsical names, but they do make them all the more wonderful! Whenever I visit NY state I am always struck by how many beautiful villages and towns I discover and how much stunning architecture there is.

    I hope you're having a wonderful summer, Marjorie! I've been wrapped up in moving and other adventures, and I'm only now starting to catch back up with my favorite blogs. It's so good to visit here this morning! xoxo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like me I'm always going to places when they're closed. Better luck next time!
    Gorgeous buildings!
    x
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great name for this imposing complex !
    I enjoyed your bear story.
    Best wishes,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now those weren't the bears I was expecting! Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband's Dad grew up in Ovid and is buried in the Ovid cemetary. I believe these buildings are on the campus of the former Willard Hospital - are they? My mom was a psychiatric social worker there for a few years a long time ago. I grew up 2 lakes over - In Auburn - Owasco Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops - commenting under the wrong link! Michele My Notitng Hill

    ReplyDelete