Monday, July 13, 2009

My Bicyclette

My first bicyclette was a gift from Aunt Lois and Uncle Julian. They lived in Richmond, Virginia, and ran a tourist home on Chamberlayne Avenue. “Br-ring, br-ring” went the bell of my four-wheeler, as I rode the bumpy sidewalks of their street, and raced the large trucks that plied that route. At night, tucked into my bed, a lullaby from the sounds of those same trucks sang to me of faraway places.

One Christmas, not long after, Santa brought me a shiny black Raleigh: a real big girl bicycle! That bike transported me through my young adult years, and later safely ferried my toddlers to their nursery school.

In Belgium, our hove (old farmhouse in Flemish) was situated on a country road popular with the local bicycle racing clubs. On weekends, we would become spectators of this sport, as swarms of
riders would whip by our house.



One day at a local brocante, I found a large collection of vintage enamel bike manufacturers’ plaques. I had great fun fashioning them into the ultimate biker ‘bling’. (from The Parrott Collection at Pomme)

La Bicyclette is also the name of a café/restaurant here in Carmel. It is the artistic creation of the Georis family, who have made names for themselves with a series of experiential /themed eateries and a winery. Perhaps, due to their Belgian roots, their café is evocative of the estaminets of Belgium. These are the quirky cafes where an eclectic mélange of tattered and discarded elements; such as ancient baby buggies, umbrellas and chairs adorn the walls, and where good honest rustic pleasant fare is served. La Bicyclette is ‘ouvert’ for lunch and dinner. You can expect a good wine list and creative dining touches. This includes copper pots of steaming soup brought to the table, and elegant deserts. The deserts are made by the pastry chef at another Georis restaurant up the street, and are delivered in the basket of a vintage bike by one of the waiters. It’s the “wheel” deal!


Happy trails, Marjorie

3 comments:

  1. Hello. Was checking out new blogs and came across yours and I think its really cool. Hey come check out mine if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lee Beth,

    Thank you for your lovely comment. Welcome aboard.

    I will definitely take a look at your blog.

    Happy Summer,

    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Marjorie,

    I love your blog. You're lucky to have such a great cafe in your area.I love all things French so I'm very envious :)

    ReplyDelete